You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379470  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 379470
Location: QUAY WALLS AND BOLLARDS AROUND CUMBERLAND BASIN,
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 October 1999
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5672CUMBERLAND BASIN, Floating Harbour901-1/41/1283Quay walls and bollards around

BRISTOL ST5672 CUMBERLAND BASIN, Floating Harbour 901-1/41/1283 Quay walls and bollards around 04/03/77 Cumberland Basin GV II Quay walls and bollards. 1803-1809. By William Jessop. Altered 1867-73. Granite and Pennant with limestone ashlar and cast-iron. Dressed quay kerbs and Pennant quay walls, with mooring bollards, to sides of the Cumberland basin, North Entrance and North Junction Locks. HISTORICAL NOTE: Cumberland Basin and South Junction Lock (qv) form part of Jessop's 1804 W entrance to his floating harbour, with the South Junction Lock (qv), and Brunel's South Entrance Lock (qv). The North Entrance Lock and North Junction Lock were built by the Docks Engineer Thomas Howard in 1867-73. The Floating Harbour provided a large non-tidal area in the Port of Bristol for the first time, a long-planned and much-delayed development. Though incapable of counterbalancing the port's inadequacies relative to its rivals such as Liverpool and London, it had a profound effect on the commercial and industrial history and geography of the city, and thereby its architecture. (Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 33).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.