You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379474  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 379474
Location: THE PUMP HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE, CUMBERLAND BASIN (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 August 1999
Date listed: 18 February 1972
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5772 CUMBERLAND BASIN, Floating Harbour 901-1/41/1287 (North side) 18/02/72 The Pump House Public House (Formerly Listed as: CUMBERLAND BASIN Hydraulic Engine House) II Hydraulic engine house, now public house. c1870. By Thomas Howard. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a pantile hipped roof. Single storey; 4-window range. Engine house and left-hand square 2-stage acccumulator tower have pronounced quoins, jambs and voussoirs. The engine house has a central block with paired hipped roofs with ridge lights, a wide elliptical-arched carriage entrance to the right, and large semicircular-arched window to the left, with paired eaves brackets at the corners; right-hand section set back has a small semicircular-arched doorway to the right, with a narrow window above. The tower has a semicircular-arched doorway, and narrow window above, and brackets to the pyramidal roof with a wrought-iron weather vane; in the left return is a large cross arrow slit. INTERIOR: remodelled and converted to a public house. Designed by Howard, the Docks Engineer, to provide hydraulic power to the Cumberland Basin. (Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 62).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.