© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
A BOND TOBACCO WAREHOUSE, CUMBERLAND ROAD (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
15 August 1999
03 May 1988
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5672 CUMBERLAND ROAD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1294 (North side)
03/05/88 A Bond Tobacco Warehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
'A Bond' Tobacco Warehouse)
Bonded tobacco warehouse. 1905. Designed by the Docks
Committee engineer. Built by William Cowlin and Sons. Patent
red bricks, blue engineering bricks, Pennant stone steps,
terracotta details and Welsh slate roof; 'A' Bond has a frame
of steel stanchions on the lower 2 floors and iron on the
rest, carrying RSJs to segmental-arched concrete floor slabs.
Open plan, in 2 equal parts separated by central spine wall. 9
storeys; 18-window range. Ground floor in black brick with a
low plinth, the remainder in red, with strings at 3, 5, 7 and
9 storeys, cornice, of black moulded brick, and stone parapet.
Wide clasping pilasters, to a parapet with sunken panels; rear
elevation has a central bay between the pilasters.
Ground-floor front has round-arched doorways and windows: from
the outside, one door, 2 windows and 2 doors, either side of a
central door and flanking windows in the central projecting
block, with Pennant stone steps up; the paired flanking
doorways are shaded by a cantilevered steel canopy and have
sliding steel doors.
Upper-floor windows are almost square with terracotta cills
and pronounced, chamfered keys and chamfered, stopped jambs,
1:2:1 in central bay and equally spaced either side between
the unpierced pilasters. Top floor is roof-lit only.
INTERIOR: central entrance lobby to lateral staircase, giving
each side on to a 10x8 bay floor with central lift shaft.
Columns decrease in size to upper floors, carrying deep
primary and secondary beams, with haunched connections; some
floors with wood block flooring. Steel truss north light
HISTORICAL NOTE: 'A' Bond was the first of the 3 brick Bonds
in the Cumberland Basin.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 341; Lord J and Southam J: The
Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 94).