You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379524  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 379524
Location: NUMBER 1 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS, 1 DOWRY SQUARE (west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 August 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/13/1418 (West side) 08/01/59 No.1 and attached front basement railings (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.1) GV II Attached house. c1730. Render with limestone dressings, party wall stacks and a pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. Rusticated pilaster strips to a moulded coping; right-hand doorway with 3-panelled jambs, reeded transom, brackets to a dentil pediment, batswing fanlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with rusticated voussoirs to 9/9-pane sashes in flush frames, 2 symmetrically-placed ground-floor sashes; single hipped dormer. The right return has a C18 shop window with 18-pane window and cornice, two 9/9-pane first-floor sashes and a single 6/6-pane sash. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron front area railings and gate with urn finials, and Pennant piers. Dowry Square was laid out by George Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.