© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
NUMBER 4 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS, 4 DOWRY SQUARE (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
15 August 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/13/1421 (West side)
and attached front basement railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. 1748. Probably by Thomas Paty. Brick with
limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks and a pantile
double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3
storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has rusticated pilaster strips to a
moulded coping and parapet, and rusticated quoins to the
pedimented middle section which breaks forward. The doorway
has a mid C19 porch of fluted columns on octagonal Pennant
plinths with acanthus capitals to an entablature and dentil
cornice, 2-panel door with roundels and margin and overlights.
Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes; 3
INTERIOR: mid C19 decorative scheme, with an entrance hall
divided by flat arch with guilloche and Greek key panels and
cornices, doorways with cornices and 2-panel doors and
panelled shutters, with a rear mid C20 stair.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached mid C19 cast-iron spike-headed
railings with foliate decoration, and capped piers.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).