© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
NUMBER 5 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS, 5 DOWRY SQUARE (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
05 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/13/1422 (West side)
and attached front basement railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. 1748. Probably by Thomas Paty. Brick with
limestone dressings, brick gable and party wall stacks and a
pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian
style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range.
Planned as a symmetrical side to No.4 (qv), with rusticated
pilaster strips to a moulded coping. Right-hand doorway has a
plain ashlar surround and cornice, and mid C19 two-panel door
with roundels and an integral rectangular overlight with
margin panes. Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs to
6/6-pane sashes; 2 hipped dormers. Rear elevation has 2 hipped
dormers and semicircular-arched stair lights. INTERIOR not
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron spear-headed
railings and gates, and capped piers to entrance steps.
A simpler design than No.4 (qv). Dowry Square was laid out by
Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side
had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick,
now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).