You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379529  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 379529
Location: NUMBER 6 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS, 6 DOWRY SQUARE (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/13/1423 (North side) 08/01/59 No.6 and attached front basement walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.6) GV II* Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Stucco over brick, brick gable and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 2-window range. Part of a terrace of 3 houses articulated by rusticated pilaster strips, with moulded ground- and first-floor bands and a moulded coping, with a central entrance wing extending across the corner of the square. A right-hand doorway has a plain bracketed canopy, 3-pane overlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with 5 rusticated voussoirs to 4/4-pane sashes in flush frames, and 9/9 sashes to ground-floor left with fixed upper lights; slate hipped dormer. Rear elevation has a 5-window range with 4/4-pane sashes in exposed frames, and 3 slate-hung dormers with 6/6-pane sashes. INTERIOR: dogleg stair with square newels, moulded pine handrail, turned balusters. Left-hand ground-floor room panelled with shell niche and brown marble surround to fireplace. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area walls and piers. Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs. A plaque records that Sir Humphrey Davy lived here 1799-1801. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.