© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
NUMBER 7 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS, DOWRY SQUARE (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
05 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1424 (North side)
and attached front basement walls
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Stucco over brick,
brick party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
basement; 3-window range.
Part of a terrace of 3 houses articulated by rusticated
pilaster strips, with moulded ground- and first-floor bands
and a moulded coping. A right-hand doorway has fluted Ionic
pilasters, entablature and segmental broken pediment, 3-pane
overlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with 5 rusticated
voussoirs to 4/4-pane sashes in flush frames, and a slate
INTERIOR: entrance hall divided by a semicircular keyed arch
from a rear dogleg stair with uncut string, column balusters
and square newels; 2-panel doors, panelled shutters and
fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area
walls, capped piers and wrought-iron railings.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).