© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
NUMBER 8 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS, 8 DOWRY SQUARE (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
05 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1425 (North side)
and attached front basement walls
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Stucco over brick,
brick party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
basement; 3-window range. Part of a terrace of 3 houses
articulated by rusticated pilaster strips, with moulded
ground- and first-floor bands and a moulded coping. A
right-hand doorway has carved brackets to a
semicircular-arched shell hood (taken from St James's Square),
3-pane overlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with 5 rusticated
voussoirs to 4/4-pane sashes in flush frames, and a slate
hipped dormer. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES:
attached front basement area walls, capped piers and
wrought-iron railings. Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in
1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a
5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now
altered and mostly rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).