You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379532  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 379532
Location: 9 DOWRY SQUARE
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 October 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/14/1426 (North side) 08/01/59 No.9 and attached front basement walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.9) GV II* Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Limestone ashlar and render, brick gable and party wall stacks and a slate double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a banded ground floor, rusticated pilaster strips, ground- and first-floor strings and a moulded coping. A good doorway has fluted Ionic pilasters to entablature blocks and a broken segmental pediment, 3-pane overlight and 6-panel door, the top 4 raised. Lintels with 5 rusticated voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames, 3 slate hipped dormers and a square slate-hung ridge lantern. Roughcast rear elevation has outer full-height closet blocks with pyramidal roofs, 3 hipped dormers, and Pennant rubble drips over the windows. INTERIOR: panelled entrance hall divided by a panelled elliptical arch from a good rear open-well stair with 3 column-on-vase balusters per tread, the middle one twisted, ramped and moulded rail to a wide curtail, and ramped wainscot; eared fire surrounds and panelled overmantels, with semicircular-arched side niches; 4-panel doors, cornices and panelled shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area walls, piers with brackets and wrought-iron railings. Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.