© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
10 DOWRY SQUARE (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
05 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1427 (North side)
and attached basement area railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. c1746. By George Tully. Built by Richard
Matthews. Limestone ashlar and render over brick, brick gable
and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style.
3 storeys, basement and attic; 4-window range. Part of an
attached pair with a rusticated ground floor, moulded ground-
and first-floor bands and a moulded coping. A good doorway set
between the outer windows, a centrally place window to the
right, has fluted Ionic pilasters to a pulvinated frieze,
segmental pediment and a 6-panel door. Segmental-arched
windows have keyed architraves with sill blocks to 6/6-pane
sashes; 2 hipped dormers.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with a good open-well stair, panelled
doors and shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached entrance walls, capped piers and
wrought-iron basement area railings.
Dowry Square was laid in 1720 by Tully and building continued
until 1750. The sides had brick 5-window central houses and
3-window flanking ones, most now rendered and altered.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 205; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).