© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
NUMBER 11 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS, 11 DOWRY SQUARE (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
16 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1428 (North side)
and attached front basement railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. 1746. By George Tully. Built by Richard
Matthews. Limestone ashlar and render over brick, brick gable
and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
basement; 3-window range.
One half of a pair with rusticated pilaster strips, moulded
ground- and first-floor bands and a moulded coping. The
doorway is placed symmetrically between 2 ground-floor
windows, with fluted Ionic pilasters to a pulvinated frieze
and segmental pediment, and 8-panel door. Windows with
cambered heads and keyed architraves to 6/6-pane sashes, some
with thick bars, and a single hipped dormer. The right-hand
elevation has 5-window range of 6/6-pane sashes in flush
frames and 3 slate-hung dormers.
INTERIOR: a good interior, details include a large entrance
hall divided by a panelled elliptical arch from a rear
open-well stair with uncut string, column balusters and a
ramped moulded rail. Fine first-floor right-hand room divided
by a shallow arch with reeded and fluted jambs, rocaille fire
surround with rope-moulded cast-iron baskets, 6- and 2-panel
doors, cornices and panelled shutters; brick-paved basement
has a niche with a tap, hood for hearth and fire surround and
bread oven. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached walls, piers and
wrought-iron basement area railings.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).