© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
NUMBER 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND PIERS, 12 DOWRY SQUARE (east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
16 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1429 (East side)
and attached front area railings and
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now school. Dated 1750. Possibly designed by Thomas
Paty. Built by Richard Matthews. Roughcast with limestone
dressings, gable stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
bsement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has rusticated pilaster strips to a
moulded coping. The doorway has curved steps up, and shallow
blocked jambs and a stepped key to an 8-panel door. Cambered
heads with 5 stepped voussoirs, with a console pediment to the
centre on the first floor and a console cornice to the second
floor above, to 6/6-pane ground- and first-floor sashes, with
thick bars on the first floor, and 3/6-panes on the second;
late C18 timber canted bay to the right has 8/8-pane sashes in
flush frames. Rear elevation has a central shallow, gabled
INTERIOR: entrance passage divided by a semicircular arch with
key and cornice, rear dogleg stair with uncut string, column
balusters and paired newels, and a ramped, moulded rail; plain
fire surrounds, 4-panel doors and panelled shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area walls, railings and
piers. Dowry Square was laid out by George Tully in 1720, and
building continued until 1750.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 156).