You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379641  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 379641
Location: THE GEORGIAN HOUSE ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND REAR GARDEN WALLS, 7 GREAT GEORGE STREET (south east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 03 February 2003
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5872NW GREAT GEORGE STREET 901-1/15/98 (South East side) 08/01/59 No.7 The Georgian House, attached front area railings and rear garden walls (Formerly Listed as: GREAT GEORGE STREET (South side) No.7 The Georgian House) GV II* House, now office. 1788-91. By William Paty. For John Pinney. Limestone ashlar, coursed Pennant rubble basement, brick gable stacks and slate double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic, basement and sub-basement; 3-window range. A symmetrical front has a rusticated ground floor to a plat band, a cornice and parapet. Central doorway has pilasters to Doric entablature blocks and a pediment, a semicircular arch with a metal fanlight and 6-panel door. Ground-floor windows have large keys; 6/6-pane sashes, smaller on the first floor; large hipped dormer. Right-hand return has a first-floor semicircular-arched stair light. Similar rear elevation. Rubble basement has segmental-arched Pennant lintels. INTERIOR: a very complete interior has a flagged hall with a semicircular arch to a central stair well, a right-hand stone open dogleg stair, with wrought-iron balusters with curved bars and lead enrichment, and a wreathed and banded rail; right-hand open well service stair; principal rooms to the rear have good Adam-style fireplaces, cornices with swagged friezes, dados and connecting arches; complete service rooms in basement have a range, oven, coppers, and a stone-lined plunge pool; 6-panel mahogany doors and panelled shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron front area railings and gates curved up to the door; attached rear rubble garden wall. One of several houses in the road with matching fronts but varying plans for different clients. Presented to the City as a museum in 1937. It contains some original furniture and fittings, such as the bureau-bookcase in the Study. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 213).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.