You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379652  

Print Page



© Mr Ben White

IoE Number: 379652
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE BRANDON HILL, GREAT GEORGE STREET (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Ben White
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5872NW GREAT GEORGE STREET 901-1/15/106 (North West side) 08/01/59 Church of St George, Brandon Hill (Formerly Listed as: GREAT GEORGE STREET (North side) Church of St George) GV II* Church, now concert hall. 1821-3. By Sir Robert Smirke. Limestone and Pennant ashlar, roof not visible. Longitudinal plan, built on lateral vaulted chambers, with sanctuary behind portico and U-plan galleries to first floor. Greek Revival style. A tetrastyle porch with Greek Doric Theseion order columns on shallow Pennant plinths; behind it are 3 doorways with moulded architraves and C20 doors, under a plat band and 3 semicircular-arched windows; surmounting the pediment is a short square pedestal and a round lantern, with Doric pilasters to alternate blind and louvred square windows, and a dome with acroteria. N elevation of 7 bays has a rusticated basement, cornice and parapet; almost square lower windows with beaded reveals and semicircular-arched upper ones above a plat band; similar S elevation. Projecting centre to the W end has 2 flights of stairs on either side with curtail steps; 2 shallow pilasters flank a door with a cornice on brackets, and a semicircular-arched window above; to the sides are similar doors with blind windows. INTERIOR: entrance lobby from the W end and portico from the liturgical E end; U-plan panelled galleries to sides and W end on fluted cast-iron Doric columns, and panelled plaster ceiling with painted roses and other Greek Revival mouldings. Open-well stone stairs lead up to galleries from portico. Lateral vaulted crypt. Inserted stage to W end c1987. FIXTURES: late C19 pews, C18 box pews in the galleries, and a large square marble font on short shafts. Marble sanctuary furniture by Foster and Wood c1878 in storage. A Waterloo church, built as a chapel-of-ease to Cathedral of St Augustine (qv), and converted to a concert hall c1987. A notable piece of Greek Revival architecture, Smirke being a leading practitioner of the style. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 236; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 389; Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 27).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.