You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379773  

Print Page



© Mrs Sheila Adams

IoE Number: 379773
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET (south side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Sheila Adams
Date Photographed: 04 August 2002
Date listed: 30 December 1994
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5376NWHIGH STREET, Shirehampton901-1/18/1734(South side)

BRISTOL ST5376NW HIGH STREET, Shirehampton 901-1/18/1734 (South side) Church of St Mary II Church. 1929. By P Hartland Thomas. Reinforced concrete clad with Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a pantile roof. Aisled nave and chancel with side chapels, and W porch. Modernist Gothic Revival style. The E end has a single-storey parapeted vestry with roll top coping beneath a gable with angle buttresses and 5-light 2-centred arched window, divided by a transom. 3-bay N chancel divided by buttresses with a 3-light mullion window with flat head to the E end, and a drip course below the parapet. The E end of the taller nave has a tall stepped gable bellcote with weathered coping, containing 2 flat-headed openings with bells and a central louvred panel, with a cross above. The gable carries down to form a weathered buttress to the end of the low parapeted, windowless aisle with a left-hand 2-centred arched doorway; the nave has flat-headed 5-light mullion and transom windows extending between the buttresses. Similar S elevation. The W end has low 3-light mullion windows to the aisles and sides of the gable, a deep porch with semicircular-arched doorway with deep splayed reveals divided by 3 inscribed arches, and a 2-leaf door; above is a 5-light 2-centred arched mullion and transom window. INTERIOR: plain, unmoulded divisions, with a 2-centre chancel arch, square piers to flat-headed aisle arches, with aisles divided by semicircular cross arches. Stripped Gothic fenestration incorporated into a Modernist shell: '..no other English architect has taken church design so far along a non-traditional path' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 419; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 472).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.