You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379826  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 379826
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HOTWELL ROAD (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 August 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5772NWHOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells901-1/14/1461(North side)

BRISTOL ST5772NW HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells 901-1/14/1461 (North side) 08/01/59 Church of Holy Trinity II* Church. 1829. By CR Cockerell. Interior by T Burrough. Bath stone ashlar and a slate roof. Open plan. Neoclassical style. Plain E elevation, N elevation is 5 bays of round-arched windows. W front in 3 sections defined by wide pilasters, the centre one breaking forward, with a deep cornice. A high rusticated plinth to a sill band and tall round-arched windows, either side of the central section of 3 doorways with pedimented lintels on volute consoles and plain jambs, the middle one taller, with above them a central, round-arched window and plain flat-headed ones either side. The dominant elevation is that to the S, a symmetrical 5-window range of round-arched windows, with the rusticated plinth, pilasters and cornice, and a massive porch with an open pediment on giant Doric pilasters, enclosing a tall coffered niche. Inside it a round-arched window and a door like that in the W end, a plat band and beneath it 2 smaller side doors. In the tympanum is a sculpture of the Holy Spirit by Tyley. Above the pediment is a tall plinth and clock, and an open bell turret with pilasters, a cornice with acroteria, and a ball finial. INTERIOR: completely rebuilt after being gutted during World War II. Nothing survives of the original cruciform, galleried interior, except the use of a shallow glazed dome. An impressive and powerfully-articulated facade. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 247; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 411).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.