© Ms Ruth Povey
HOLY CROSS INNS COURT VICARAGE, INNS COURT GREEN
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST56NE INNS COURT GREEN, Knowle
901-1/57/1552 Holy Cross Inns Court Vicarage
Stair turret. Early C15. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings,
pantiles and black glazed ridges. 4 sides of a hexagon.
Perpendicular Gothic style.
2 storeys with weathered buttresses at the angles; doorway in
the side second from right has a 4-centred moulded arch set in
a square moulded frame between the buttresses, with plain
shields in the spandrels; similar surrounds to single-light
windows in the 2 left-hand sides; over them and above the door
are 2-light ogee and cinquefoil windows lighting a landing and
(removed) run of stairs; ground-floor window to the right of
the door is similar to the above but smaller and higher in the
wall, and lights surviving stairs from off right up over the
door; above is a window with ogee tracery forming trefoils in
the spandrels; drip moulding above ground- and first-floor
window heads. From the left of the turret extends a wall,
sloped to a roof fall with a small 4-centred doorway. C19
shallow roof. The turret is attached to a mid C20 building,
(not included). INTERIOR not inspected.
The surviving fragment of a once larger house, and probably
built for the lawyer Sir John Innys, who died in 1439. 'The
most sophisticated piece of building from the early fifteenth
century [in Bristol].' (Gomme).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 72).