You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379859  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA

IoE Number: 379859
Photographer: Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
Date Photographed: 22 August 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5872NEKING STREET, Centre901-1/16/598(South side)

BRISTOL ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre 901-1/16/598 (South side) 08/01/59 No.6 and attached railings GV II* Attached house, now offices. c1665, refronted c1720. Timber-framed, front of red brick with limestone dressings, and pantile double-pile roof, hipped to the front and gabled at the rear, and rear stair tower. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 6-window range. A regular front has rusticated pilaster strips, strings to each floor and moulded coping. The doorway to right of centre has a moulded frame, 4-pane overlight and 6-panel door, with a shell hood on carved acanthus brackets. Lintels have 5 incised voussoirs to 9/9-pane sashes in flush frames with thick bars, and 2 hipped dormers with 6/6-pane sashes. Steps down to left-hand basement doorway. The left return has varied fenestration with 2 doorways to the left. INTERIOR: good C18 ground-floor panelling, earlier to right-hand room with a continuous overmantel and fire surround, and flanking cupboards; raised panels and an early C18 safe in left-hand room with a mid C18 Adamesque fire surround; chamfered beams in central hall with bar stops; central rear open-well C17 stair in its own stair tower, with uncut string, turned balusters and square newels, rebuilt to upper floors, and panelled, ramped C18 wainscot; collar beam trusses in attic. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached basement area cast-iron railings, curved up to the doorway. The original gables, presumably like those on the neighbouring Nos 7 & 8 King Street (qv), were cut back to form hips when refronted. The C18 front has stylistic links with contemporary houses in Dowry Square. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 100).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.