© Mr Michael Perry
7 AND 8 KING STREET (south side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Michael Perry
23 May 2006
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre
901-1/16/599 (South side)
08/01/59 Nos.7 AND 8
Pair of attached houses, now offices. 1665, partly
refenestrated C18, restored 1976. Rendered timber box frame
with rubble party wall to No.6 and pantile roof.
Single front and rear rooms to each with central stairs each
side of the party wall. 3 storeys, attic and basement;
3-window range. 2 equal gables to the street have shallow
jetties with moulded fascia boards to first and second floors,
with deep tiled overhanging pents to the first floor and the
upper floors of No.7, and boxed eaves.
Wide steps up to central paired doorways with moulded frames,
No.7 has a framed 9-panel door, No.8 with 6 raised panels.
No.7 has paired 10/10-pane ground-floor sashes, a C17 canted
2-storey oriel above with mullion and transom casements, and
4/4-pane horizontal sliding sash to the attic, in flush
frames; No.8 has a ground-floor bay with 3 mullion and transom
windows and glazing bars, 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames
above, 2 to the first and second floors and 1 to the attic. 2
raking dormers over the stair wells face into the valley.
Similar rear elevation, with ovolo-moulded mullion windows and
leaded casements to the upper floors of No.7, which is
INTERIOR: central winder newel stairs set against the party
wall, with half splat balusters, and ball finials to No.7;
No.8 has an early-mid C18 dogleg stair on the ground floor to
the rear, with uncut string, column-on-vase balusters, column
newels, and matching panelled wainscot; first-floor front room
of No.7 has fleur-de-lys plaster ceiling decoration; collar
beam trusses with C19 braces.
During restoration, it was found that the oak studding and
bracing was largely from reused ships' timbers, and some of
the laths were barrel staves.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 83).