© Mrs Sheila Adams
KING WILLIAM AND NAVAL VOLUNTEER PUBLIC HOUSES, 18, 19 AND 20 KING STREET (south side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Sheila Adams
12 February 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre
901-1/16/603 (South side)
08/01/59 Nos.18, 19 AND 20
King William and Naval Volunteer
(Formerly Listed as:
Row of 3 houses, now public house and restaurant. c1670, C18
fenestration, restored late C20. Rendered timber box frame
with brick lateral and valley stacks, and pantile roof.
Gabled fronts to the road, with right-hand stacks and
right-hand central stairs between front and back rooms; No.20
has a single-storey wing linked to a C17 back block. 2
storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range. 3 gables facing
the road have jettied floors with fascia boards and pent roofs
to each floor, and above the attic windows of Nos 19 and 20.
Early C19 ground-floor public house fronts: No.18 has
left-hand door with a rectangular metal batswing fanlight and
6-panel door, and 2 large 6/6-pane sashes; No.19 has C18
ground floor with 4 scrolled brackets above panelled
pilasters, outer doorways with a reeded architrave to the
right with a 3-pane overlight and 6-panel door, the bottom
pair flush, similar left-hand doorway, and 2 horned 6/6-pane
sashes between; No.20 has a C18 shop front with reeded
surrounds with roundels and right-hand doorway, with a C17
door frame to the left with moulded stops and Tudor arch,
3-pane overlight and framed studded 9-panel door with
decorative panels to the top rail, and a 10/10-pane sash
between above a segmental-arched cellar opening.
Varied fenestration: No.18 has a 2-storey canted oriel with
pilaster jambs to the first floor, C17 casements with glazing
bars, and attic 6/6-pane sash in a flush frame; No.19 has
6/6-pane sashes in flush frames and a 4-light mullion and
transom attic casement, and No.20 has C18 8/8-pane first-floor
sashes, 12/12-pane second-floor sashes, and paired attic
8/8-pane sashes, in flush frames.
The right return has 2 lateral stacks with a 1-window range
between lighting the stairs, a ground-floor 6/6-pane sash, C17
three-light mullion casements above, with a transom on the
first floor, and small 2-pane light beneath the eaves. Single
stack in the valley between Nos 18 & 19. To the rear of No.20
a 2-storey back block and single-storey linking wing have
hipped roofs; recent buildings attached to rear of Nos 18 &
INTERIOR: Nos 19 & 20 interconnected: details include central
right-and newel framed stairs to both, with uncut string,
newels with moulded finials and pendents, moulded rails and
splat balusters, with Ionic capitals on the ground floor;
moulded beams, on first floor with panelled soffits, bar
chamfer stops, running into a continuous timber overmantel to
the rear of No.19, above a bolection-moulded fire surround; to
side wall of No.20 is a Jacobean stone fire surround with
architrave, panels above and brackets to a cornice;
scratch-moulded attic door to No.20 has 9 panels, the top ones
arched; the back block has exposed beams and restored stair.
No.18 has a panelled ground floor with bolection mouldings,
and a continuous overmantel and fire surround with an eared
architrave and rocaille reliefs to the front.
HISTORICAL NOTE: King Street was developed on the S side from
1663. Like the Llandoger Trow (qv), the houses form an early
type of terrace retaining original plan forms. The rear back
block is an important survival, with parallels in other SW
towns such as Barnstaple and Totnes.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 83).