© Mrs Sheila Adams
33 KING STREET (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Sheila Adams
15 July 2002
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre
901-1/16/607 (North side)
Attached house, now restaurant. c1665, with mid C18
fenestration. Rendered timber box-frame with brick lateral
stack and a pantile roof. Central lateral stair separating
front and rear rooms. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window
A gabled front has jetties to each floor with a small pent
above the second floor, and boxed eaves. Right-hand doorway
has a moulded C17 frame with moulded stops and framed
scratch-moulded 9-panel door and 2 brackets to the jetty
above, with three C20 twelve-pane ground-floor windows. C18
first-floor canted oriel has pilaster jambs and a dentil
cornice, to 10/10-pane and flanking 6/6-pane sashes, paired
second-floor 6/6-pane sashes, and a horned attic 6/6-pane
sash, in flush frames.
INTERIOR: central open dogleg stair with uncut string, early
C18 column-on-vase balusters, column newels and a moulded
rail; a good first floor has pegged door frames, moulded
beams, one to rear room with chamfer stops with shallow relief
tulips. The front first-floor room has good plaster decoration
in 2 sections separated by a chamfered beam, with pointed
central quatrefoils and pomegranites, winged cherubs and
corner decoration, and a frieze of adorsal hounds and fruit.
Part of the medieval City wall is incorporated into the
structure of the back. Connected at ground and first floors
with No.35 (qv).
Plasterwork closely similar to that in the Llandoger Trow
(qv). Although conservative in design, No.33 prefigures C18
urban plan forms with the lateral stair, an arrangement
repeated at Nos 7 & 8, 16 and 18-20.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 83).