You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379882  

Print Page



© Mrs Sheila Adams

IoE Number: 379882
Location: ST NICHOLAS' ALMSHOUSES, 1-10 KING STREET (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Sheila Adams
Date Photographed: 12 February 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5872NEKING STREET, Centre901-1/16/596(North side)

BRISTOL ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre 901-1/16/596 (North side) 08/01/59 St Nicholas' Almshouses, Nos.1-10 (Consecutive) GV II* Almshouses. 1652-6, extended C19, restored 1961 by Donald Install. Render with limestone dressings, brick valley stacks and pantile cross-gabled roof. Single-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic; 11-window range. A long, regular range of equal gables, with C19 three-gable right return, one set diagonally across the corner. Entrance gable is slightly larger, 5 from the left, with a bolection-moulded surround to an ovolo-moulded timber-frame with heart-shaped chamfer stops, and framed 15-panel door. 3-light ground-floor and 2-light first-floor ovolo-moulded mullion windows have lattice-leaded casements, with semicircular heads above the entrance, and hoodmoulds to the first-floor and three C19 ground-floor windows; small louvred windows in the gables beneath small cornices, that over the entrance with a raised surround. The gutters between the valleys give onto a full-width box gutter. INTERIOR not inspected, but reported as being largely remodelled in the restoration. The ceiling of the old chapel above the entrance remains, a plaster barrel vault decorated with figures, coat of arms and strapwork with arabesques and birds, in manner of Vredeman de Vries (Gomme). The foundations of a bastion of the City Wall were revealed during restoration. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 83).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.