© Ms Ruth Povey
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, LEWIN'S MEAD (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5873SE LEWIN'S MEAD
901-1/11/128 (North side)
08/01/59 Unitarian Chapel
Meeting-house, now offices. 1788-91. By William Blackburn.
Converted to offices in 1987 by Fielden Clegg architects.
Limestone ashlar, rendered rubble sides and hipped slate roof.
Open plan. Neoclassical style.
3 storeys; 5-window range. The 3-window central pedimented
block breaks forward of lower flanking blocks, with a
rusticated ground-floor to a plat band, flat sill and impost
bands; a semicircular portico of paired Ionic columns and
respond pilasters, with a plain entablature, on curved Pennant
steps, over a tall doorway and moulded architrave; either side
is an almost-square window with incised voussoirs, with
similar plain windows to the side blocks; above the portico is
a tall 3-light window with 2 column mullions with acanthus
capitals and responds to an entablature, and a large lunette
above, with palmettes in the C19 glazing bars; either side are
rectangular first-floor windows, and similar ones with moulded
architraves in the side blocks, and blind windows flanking the
lunette. Similar single tripartite windows to lunettes to each
side and 3 to the rear.
INTERIOR: galleried sides and front on cast-iron shafts, and a
coffered ceiling, supported from the roof by chains, with
large foliate paterae; a curved, panelled screen to the lobby;
stone semicircular winder stairs both sides of the entrance.
FITTINGS: central mahogany 3-decker pulpit to the N side with
ramped steps up, a tester on console brackets, curved
communion rail in front with turned balusters. Box pews either
side of the entrance and the pulpit. Memorials include various
C18 and C19 wall tablets.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the chapel was built by the Unitarians as a
meeting house to hold 400 people, with stables and
coach-house, a lecture room added in 1818, and schoolrooms in
1826. It was converted to offices in 1987 by Fielden Clegg
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 190; An Inventory of Nonconformist
Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire:
London: 1986-: 70).