You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379950  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 379950
Location: HANDEL COSSHAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, LODGE ROAD (west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 02 February 2001
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST67SWLODGE ROAD, Fishponds901-1/56/1268(West side)

BRISTOL ST67SW LODGE ROAD, Fishponds 901-1/56/1268 (West side) 04/03/77 Handel Cossham Memorial Hospital II Hospital. 1905-07. By F Bligh Bond. Squared red Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, Bath stone ashlar, green slate roof with chimneys in front of the ridge. L-shaped plan. Queen Anne style with Edwardian Baroque influences. 2-storeys and attic; 12-window range. The principal block has a central pedimented entrance bay, with banded rusticated ground floor, running into a Gibbs surround to round-headed door with a shouldered architrave and pronounced, grotesque key. Above is an open, scrolled pediment containing a keyed oculus with floral carving. First-floor round-headed window with architrave and Gibbs surround, with a bayed balustrade. Modillioned pediment with cartouche, and relief ribbons inscribed HANDEL COSSHAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL 1905. Ground and first-floor windows with shouldered architraves and keys, segmental-arched on first floor, with panelled aprons beneath. Canted bays to the middle of the wings with 4-light windows and parapets. Deep modillion cornice, sprocketed eaves and 2- and 3-light dormers, with side windows and modillion pediments. At the right-hand end is a square tower and a flat-roofed block. In the angle between the 2 wings is an octagonal tower, with a balcony with iron railings, clocks to alternate faces, topped by an octagonal dome surrounded by a balustrade with urns, and a cupola on columns. The left wing has a mansard roof, with a 3-story block behind. INTERIOR: remodelled in the C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.