© Ms Ruth Povey
CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, ST WERBERGHS PARK (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST6074 MINA ROAD, St Werburgh
901-1/37/1931 (East side)
08/01/59 Church of St Werburgh
Church. Parts of tower 1758, the rest 1879 by John Bevan.
Snecked limestone ashlar and tile roof. Aisled nave and
chancel, W porch and SW tower. Perpendicular Gothic Revival
Moulded plinths and sill drip course. Transomed 7-light E
window and a crocketed hood, clasping buttresses with cornices
and gargoyles and panelled gablet finials. The N aisle is 5
bays separated by buttresses; in the second bay from the W is
a hooded door; parapet with blind traceried arcade. Lower
single pitch vestry at the E end, gabled to the north with a
3-centred arched east doorway between small buttresses, rising
through the eaves into a gable with a mullioned overlight, and
drip course with lion-head gutterspouts. S aisle has a plain
parapet, and a Lady Chapel with a crenellated parapet.
5-stage tower divided by drip moulds with a SW octagonal stair
turret: S door with a wide 2-centred arch and paired
colonnettes with round caps inside a moulded label, with
quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels; 3-light
first-stage and 2-light second-stage windows; blind traceried
3rd- and 4th-stage belfry windows of 3 panels, louvred to the
middle; open crenellated parapet with square corner pinnacles
to the buttresses, and an octagonal top to the stair tower
with open pyramidal top.
The W porch has a shouldered gable with tracery panels below
the apex. 4-light W window, gables with clasping buttresses
and a pinnacle to the left one with tracery panels.
INTERIOR: reredos with a central carved panel of the Last
Supper with an openwork parapet, and 2 slate panels on either
side; an arch of 2 orders to the S contains the organ loft,
and the roof has timber tracery and a cornice with angels
holding shields. Chancel arch with 3 attached shafts, and a
6-bay nave arcade on slender columns with attached shafts and
foliate capitals, with a waggon roof on shield corbels; the
arch-braced truss aisle roofs bear on similar corbels. The
base of the tower has fan vaulting.
FITTINGS: choir stalls with poppy heads; a large octagonal
pulpit with panelled sides, and wrought-iron handrail; timber
traceried screens below the tower and round the door. Corner
vestry fireplace, a Tudor arch, panels above and a billeted
MEMORIALS: various late C18 and C19 wall tablets, and a
dresser tomb to John Barker, buried in the old Church of St
Werburgh in 1607: a panelled base, Corinthian shafts and a
plain entablature, with a recumbent figure lying on an elbow
with a panel surrounded by scrolls.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the medieval St Werburgh's, Corn Street was
rebuilt by James Bridges in 1758, in a manner '...by
eighteenth century standards notably conservative and
cautious' (Gomme). Shown in Winstone, it was demolished in
1877, and Bevan re-used parts of it on the current site.
(Bristol As It Was: 1879-1874: Bristol: 1965-: 30; Gomme A,
Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History:
Bristol: 1979-: 427).