© Tony Byram LRPS DPAGB
STAG AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATES, 74 OLD MARKET STREET (south side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Tony Byram LRPS DPAGB
19 June 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5973SE OLD MARKET STREET, Old Market
901-1/12/1656 (South side)
Stag and Hounds Public House and
Formerly court, now public house. Court of 1483, predominantly
early C18, partly rebuilt 1960s, refurbished 1987. Rendered
rubble, limestone details and pantile roof. Formerly single
front room with a right-hand open court to the rear, now
3 storeys, attic and basement; 4-window range. A wide gabled
front with the first floor projecting forward and overhanging
4 closely-chamfered stone Doric columns to a moulded
entablature beam, set forward to the columns, with panelled
clasping pilasters and moulded strings to each floor, and
bracketed eaves. Central doorway with C20 double doors,
flanking C19 two-light left-hand and 4-light right-hand
plate-glass windows; windows above in bolection-moulded
exposed frames, with 6/6-pane sashes. 1-window right-hand
return; the rest of the side is c1988. The rear has a narrow
projecting left-hand section, and a projecting second-floor
section to the right.
INTERIOR: extensively altered 1987; some early C18 panelling
and cornice to the front ground-floor room with a stone
right-hand fire surround with pulvinated frieze and cornice;
left-hand front open-well stair with uncut string, barleysugar
balusters, square newels with pyramidal finials, and a moulded
rail; fully-panelled first-floor room with 6-panel door and
C20 fire surround; a well in the former rear court has a C19
iron hand pump with fly wheel and pump rods. Stone vaulted
basement with barrel skid.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached timber fences flank the front
doorway, with newels with spike finials, and gates to the
left-hand cellar hatch.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally the Pie-Poudre Court of the
Market, reputedly held in the first-floor room. Until the
1960s the gable was truncated. The right-hand return rebuilt
after the demolition of the neighbouring building through the
Inner Ring Road.
(Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or
Historic Interest: 42).