No Image Available
THE MEETING HOUSE, QUAKERS FRIARS
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5973 QUAKERS FRIARS, Broadmead
901-1/40/492 The Meeting House
Quaker meeting house, now registry office. 1747-9. By George
Tully. Stonework details designed and supplied by Thomas Paty,
also the contractor. Render with limestone dressings and a
leaded roof with hipped Welsh slate roof to a Delabole slate
Square open plan. Mid Georgian style. 2 storeys; 3-window
range. A symmetrical front with a plat band and moulded, coped
parapet, ramped up at the corners. A large, central doorcase
has a triple keyed, moulded architrave inscribed 1747,
consoles to pediment and a 2-leaf, 8-panel door.
Segmental-arched surrounds with sill blocks to flanking
4/8-pane sashes and 3 taller 8/8-pane sashes on the first
floor. Similar side elevations each of a 4-window range
without doorways. Square lantern has sashes to each face.
INTERIOR: a pedimented inner porch with pilasters and panelled
side doors, to a 3x3 bay auditorium, articulated by Doric
columns on high octagonal plinths; panelled side galleries to
3 sides between the columns, and keyed, semicircular-arched
doorways from the lobby to steps up to them; at the blind W
end stood the preacher's desk, in front of a dado and
entablature, with stair rails at each end with turned
balusters and square newels; central square lantern has a
coved ceiling. FITTINGS: some seating remains in the
The Quakers were established on the site from 1670. An
interior of 'noble simplicity' (Ison), restored c1960, with
inserted offices. Exceptionally ambitious for a Quaker
building and clearly influenced by Wesley's New Rooms (qv).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 129; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 62; An Inventory of Nonconformist
Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire:
London: 1986-: 65).