You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380239  

Print Page



© Mr Phil Draper

IoE Number: 380239
Location: CHURCH OF ST LUKE AND ATTACHED SIDE RAILINGS, QUEEN ANN ROAD (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Phil Draper
Date Photographed: 23 June 2001
Date listed: 30 December 1994
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST6072QUEEN ANN ROAD, Barton Hill901-1/43/360(East side)

BRISTOL ST6072 QUEEN ANN ROAD, Barton Hill 901-1/43/360 (East side) Church of St Luke and attached side railings II Church. 1842-50. By ST Welch. Altered 1930 by AV Gough. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, double Roman roof. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave, C20 apse, and W tower. EXTERIOR: lower, octagonal apse has 3 traceried windows with 2 flanking trefoil windows, and angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. 5 bay N elevation divided by buttresses with an ashlar parapet, Y-tracery windows, and a central raised gable with a 2-centred arched doorway and foliate spandrels, beneath a Y-tracery window with a crocketed ogee hoodmould. S side has no central gable. W end has a projecting square 3-stage tower, with a 2-centred arched doorway, enclosed by a mid C20 annex, and a 4-light window above with intersecting tracery, in an arched recess; cornice below a broach tower, and mouldings below an octagonal ashlar belfry with louvred lancets and leaded roof, originally a small spire; Y-tracery windows either side. INTERIOR: bracketed, arch-braced apse roof and 2-centre chancel arch; 8-bay nave with bracketed tie beams on moulded corbels with pointed arches above bracing the flat roof; rear gallery on thin cluster columns has a balustrade with ogee-headed panels; openwork tracery panels to rear and to 2nd stage of tower; octagonal pulpit has marble columns with foliate capitals and sunken traceried panels. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron spear-headed railings between the side buttresses. An early Commissioner's Church, with a late Georgian style aisleless body and in pre-archaeological Gothic style, with a Soanian tower.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.