© N.L. Stones
27-29 QUEEN SQUARE (east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
21 September 2002
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872 QUEEN SQUARE
901-1/42/204 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. 1709-11. Brick with limestone dressings, brick
party wall stacks and pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth
plan with short rear wings. Early Georgian naive Palladian
3 storeys, basement and attic; 5-window range. A symmetrical
front has quoins to an overhanging timber modillion cornice
and boxed eaves, with superimposed orders of Doric, Ionic and
Corinthian engaged columns flanking the central bay and inside
The doorway has carved acanthus brackets to a flat canopy with
panelled soffit and moulded bedmould, an early C19
semicircular-arched doorway with fluted transom, grotesque
key, draped roundels and 6-panel door, the top 4 raised.
Ground- and first-floor windows have alternate segmental and
triangular pediments linked by a string, all the windows have
rubbed brick arches with grotesque keys, wavy arrisses to the
first and second floors, whose middle window has a fluted
arch; 9/4-pane sashes in exposed, slightly recessed frames.
Rear elevation has shallow projecting wings, cambered heads
with 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes with thick bars, a
left-hand doorway with thick brackets to a canopy, and a large
semicircular-arched stair light.
INTERIOR: fairly complete with extensive panelling to the
ground- and first-floor reception, bed- and dressing rooms;
entrance hall divided by an elliptical arch with winged cupid
key, to an open dogleg stair with good rocaille brackets,
barleysugar balusters, curtail and fluted newels, upper and
right-hand service stairs flank the central landing, with
winder top and bottom sections, uncut strings and barleysugar
balusters; ground-floor front right-hand room divided by an
elliptical arch, with eared fire surround and hob grate;
similar surrounds in ground- and first-floor rooms, and with
bolection moulded surrounds to the second floor; parallel
segmental-arched basement vaults.
One of the few surviving original houses in Queen Square,
which was laid out in 1699, and has claim to be the largest
square in England, built between 1701 and 1727, to leases of
varied width and similar designs. No.29 is interesting for its
naive use of classical decoration.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 96; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of
Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 148; Mowl T: To Build The Second City:
Bristol: 1991-: 12).