© N.L. Stones
PHOENIX HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, 51 QUEEN SQUARE (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
21 September 2002
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872NE QUEEN SQUARE
901-1/16/209 (West side)
Phoenix House and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. c1833. Perhaps by Henry Rumley. Limestone
ashlar, party wall stacks and pantile roof. Double-depth plan.
3 storeys, basement and attic; 3-window range. A symmetrical
front has a banded ground floor, first-floor panelled
pilasters with anthemion capitals to frieze, cornice and
parapet. The centre breaks forward with a bowed open portico
on Roman Doric columns to an entablature, chamfered door
surround to a 6-panel door, and PHOENIX HOUSE inscribed on a
panel above. Pedimented lintels with acroteria and wreaths to
the middle first-floor window, to 6/6-pane sashes. A large
carved Phoenix to the centre of the parapet.
INTERIOR: central hall with an elliptical arch to a lateral
open dogleg stair with turned balusters, wreathed and ramped
rail with a star inlaid in the wreath; good marble fireplaces
to ground and first-floor rooms, basement range fire surround;
cornices with anthemia and guilloche; 6-panel doors and
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area railings with
anthemia finials, and piers.
Queen Square was built between 1701 and 1727. Much of the W
side was rebuilt after the Reform Bill riot of 1831.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 228; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 140).