© N.L. Stones
56, 57 AND 59-62 QUEEN SQUARE (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
06 October 2002
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872NE QUEEN SQUARE
901-1/16/214 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.56, 57 AND 59-62 (Consecutive))
Attached house, now offices. c1833. By Henry Rumley. Limestone
ashlar, party wall stacks and pantile roof. Double-depth plan.
3 storeys and attic; 2-window range. Part of a regular terrace
of similar houses; a right-hand doorway, banded ground floor
to a band with panelled pilasters, pilasters above with carved
anthemion capitals, frieze, cornice and attic storey with
string. Doorcase has fluted pilasters, entablature and
cornice, rectangular fanlight, and 4-panel door with roundels.
Ground-floor window set in shallow recessed surrounds,
consoles to pedimented lintels with acroteria and wreaths to
the first-floor windows, the rest plain, to 6/6-pane sashes,
3/3-pane to the attic.
INTERIOR: extensively re-furbished; elliptical hall arch to an
open dogleg winder stair with stick balusters and column
newels, cornices with guilloche and vine leaves, panelled
shutters and 6-panel doors. Built after the destruction of
Queen Square in the Reform Bill riots.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 229).