© Mr Michael Perry
NUMBERS 59 TO 62 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, 59-62 QUEEN SQUARE (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Michael Perry
02 April 2006
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5872NE QUEEN SQUARE
901-1/16/216 (West side)
08/01/59 Nos.59-62 (Consecutive)
and attached railings and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.56, 57 AND 59-62 (Consecutive))
Terrace of 4 houses, now offices. c1833. By Henry Rumley.
Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and pantile roof.
Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. Each of 3 storeys and
attic; 2-window range. Regular terrace has doorways at the
ends and paired in the middle, banded ground floor to a band,
divided by panelled pilasters, pilasters above with carved
anthemion capitals, frieze, cornice and coped attic storey
with string. Doorcases have fluted pilasters, entablatures and
cornices, rectangular overlights, some with plate glass, and
2-panel doors. Single ground-floor windows set in shallow
recessed surrounds, the rest plain, to 6/6-pane sashes,
3/3-pane to the attic. INTERIOR: extensively re-furbished;
hall arches to dogleg winder stairs with stick balusters and
column newels. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area
bud-headed railings and panelled piers. Built after the
destruction of Queen Square in the 1831 Reform Bill riots.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 228).