© Ms Ruth Povey
UNIVERSITY REFECTORY AND DINING ROOM, QUEENS ROAD (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
01 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5873SW QUEEN'S ROAD
901-1/10/229 (North East side)
01/11/66 Brown's Restaurant and attached
front area walls and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
University Refectory and Dining Room)
Formerly known as: City Museum and Library QUEEN'S ROAD.
Museum and library, refectory, now restaurant. 1867-71. By
Foster and Ponton. Yellow brick with red brick decoration and
limestone dressings, pantile hipped roof. Rectangular open
plan. Venetian Gothic Revival style.
2 storeys; 7-window range. A symmetrical front has steps up to
a ground-floor loggia with an arcade of 2-centre moulded
arches on columns with good foliate capitals, the outer pair
of arches on octagonal columns, and now blocked and rendered.
First-floor band of shields, below an arcade of alternate
large 2-centre arches with 2 orders, glazed, with trefoil
heads, and narrow, pointed blind statue niches. Band of
nailheads below a coved cornice and parapet.
Inside the loggia are 3 tall arches on square columns with
acanthus capitals, containing flat-headed openings with an
ovolo moulding, and round windows above. Matching left return
has 9 ground-floor arches containing triple lancets and round
windows above, and 7 first-floor arches linked by an impost
band of foliate forms. INTERIOR: largely rebuilt c1950.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area walls and stone
Foster was responsible for the exterior, described as '...the
greatest compliment the West Country paid to John Ruskin'
(Pevsner). Much of the decorative detail including pinnacles
and parapet has been lost through gutting during the Second
World War. One of the barleysugar columns for the corner
pinnacles survives to the rear of the left return.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 397; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in
Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 29; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 414).