You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380283  

Print Page



© Ms Judy Goodsell

IoE Number: 380283
Location: BUCKINGHAM BAPTIST CHAPEL, QUEEN'S ROAD (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Judy Goodsell
Date Photographed: 27 August 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5773SW QUEEN'S ROAD, Clifton 901-1/8/955 (North side) 08/01/59 Buckingham Baptist Chapel (Formerly Listed as: QUEENS ROAD (North side) Buckingham Chapel) II* Chapel. 1842. By RS Pope. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Apsidal nave and SE chapel. French Gothic Revival-style with Decorated Gothic Revival details. 3-bay apse below the nave gable has a central 3-light window with a gable hood, rising through a course of weathering, and a parallel pointed parapet; the chapel has a segmental-arched door within a pointed arch and steep gabled hood; the nave gable has a rose window of 6 trefoils below a weathered band and parapet; a similar door, raking weathering and parapet to the N side. 5-bay N elevation, each with a 3-light Geometrical window in a gable hood and blind, traceried tympanum; buttresses with weathered tops and diagonally-set pinnacles, with a weathered band and an open parapet of cusped triangles. S elevation as the N. Steep W gable has octagonal corner turrets on square plinths, with slender shafts attached to the corners rising to a band of quatrefoil panels; above a course of weathering is a spirelet faced with blind gableted panels; the main front has 3 arches in gable hoods, the taller central one of 2 orders with a hood almost twice the height of the flanking pair; within the central arch are doorways with deeply cusped trefoil arches to a trumeau, with a quatrefoil on the tympanum and blind tracery inside the hood, and doors with elaborate strap hinges. Either side of the centre hood is an arcade of 10 trefoil-headed niches in gable hoods, beneath a shallow arcade with trefoil-headed panels which flanks a rose window; a weathered band rises above the rose, parallel with the steeply pitched gable, which has an arcade of raised trefoils to the parapet; slender pinnacles to the sides and top of the gable. INTERIOR: arched, moulded lateral braces to a ceiling divided by moulded beams with large bosses, a W gallery with stone steps up from the lobby, and a blocked 2-centre chancel arch. A striking composition, contrasting to the classical style of the surrounding villas and terraces which it served, and an '.. unusually important as an exceptionally early and scholarly exercise [in Gothic Revivalist style] for a Baptist church' (Stell). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 297; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 21; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 411; An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 62).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.