© Ms Judy Goodsell
VICTORIA ROOMS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, QUEEN'S ROAD (north east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Judy Goodsell
27 August 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5773SE QUEEN'S ROAD, Clifton
901-1/9/959 (North East side)
08/01/59 Victoria Rooms and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Assembly and concert hall. 1839-41. By Charles Dyer. Carving
by Jabez Tyler. Limestone ashlar, slate roof. Open plan.
French Neoclassical style.
2 storeys; 6-window range. A fine and wide symmetrical front
has a large octastyle Corinthian portico 2 bays deep, to a
frieze, modillion cornice and pediment with a carving of
'Dawn' in the tympanum, and CHARLES DYER, ARCHITECT 1840
inscribed to the left. Flanking wings have paired Corinthian
pilasters to a frieze and modillion cornice, with 2 blind
windows with architraves and console cornices, linked by a
full-width sill band.
Recessed centre has a massive doorway with battered architrave
with bronze medallions and a console cornice, plate-glass
overlight and metal grille, to 2-leaf C20 door, and smaller
doorways each side.
The returns have a 5-window section with architraves and
console cornices to windows with mid C20 glazing bars and a
sill band, and plain basement windows, and a rear section with
a raised hexastyle-in-antis attached Corinthian portico,
frieze and cornice, and attic in 3 sections, the middle one
raised and set back with patterned panels; blind windows
between. The left return has a mid C20 porch with deep convex
jambs, the right return has a large mid C20 single-storey
INTERIOR: extensively remodelled c1950; central full-height
Octagon with a balcony of bowed cast-iron railings and Doric
columns to the drum below a domed ceiling, the Regency Room
has period plaster decoration and a rear gallery with
decorative panels of musical instruments.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings between
alternate columns of portico have urn finials and diagonal
bars, and wrought-iron gates to right-hand entrance with
leaves and raised centre.
Described by Pevsner as '...a first classic example of the
turn from the neo-classical to the style which was at the same
time adopted in Paris by the Ecole des Beaux Arts'. Burnt
internally in the 1930s and reconstructed by GD Blake and EH
Button. A key building in Bristol on a prominent intersection.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 244; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-).