You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380318  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 380318
Location: REDLAND COURT (REDLAND HIGH SCHOOL), REDLAND COURT ROAD (west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST315874 REDLAND COURT ROAD, Redland 901-1/35/1719 (West side) 08/01/59 Redland Court (Redland High School) (Formerly Listed as: REDLAND COURT ROAD, Redland (West side) Redland Court) II* House, now school. 1732-5. By John Strachan. For John Cossins. Limestone ashlar, render with limestone dressings, ashlar stacks, Pennant steps, roof not visible. Axial, double-depth plan. Palladian style. 2 storeys and basement; 13-window range. Symmetrical composition of a central 7-window block, with flanking pavilions behind. The main block has steps up over the basement to a slightly projecting centre, which has a rusticated ground floor with three C19 French windows beneath tented glazed verandah, beneath a tetrastyle-in-antis Ionic portico to a modillion pediment with 4 putti around a cartouche, and 3 windows with architraves beneath swag. Either side has clasping pilasters, sill bands, cornices and balustrade with 7 good urns; Gibbs surrounds to basement and ground-floor windows, the latter with eared architraves with prominent voussoirs over cornices, and first-floor windows with architraves and cornices, all with plate-glass sashes. The pavilions have rusticated pilasters to a cornice and parapet, with plain urns; the ground floor has a Venetian window with a shell-head niche flanked by narrow windows with Gibbs surrounds and voussoirs, above a blind balustrade, and plain first-floor sashes. C19 upper floor to the right pavilion and an octagonal cupola to the left one. The connecting ranges have 2 semicircular-arched ground-floor windows and small plain windows under a cornice. INTERIOR: 3 good front rooms fully panelled, modillion cornices, and fluted Ionic pilasters to segmental arches and 4-fold doors connecting the central and E room, and good marble fireplaces. A central stone-flagged hall to the rear with decorative ceiling, Doric frieze and doorcase with a broken pediment and a mahogany 6-panel door; either side are 2 good open-well stairs, that to left following the semicircular wall to a quarter landing, with a semi-domed ceiling, barleysugar column-on-vase balusters and fluted Doric column newels, ramped rails and pedimented doorcases, Doric frieze with bucrania; the right-hand open-well stair has quarter landings and plainer column-on-vase balusters, and doorcases with segmental pediments. HISTORICAL NOTE: an Elizabethan house was demolished on the site in 1730, and some of the panelling re-used. The house was built for John Cossins; the design uses details derived from Colen Campbell, at Houghton. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 164; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 133; Dening C F W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol: 1923-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 471).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.