© Mr Michael Perry
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, ST MICHAELS HILL (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Michael Perry
28 April 2007
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5873SE ST MICHAEL'S HILL
901-1/11/279 (West side)
08/01/59 Church of St Michael and attached
Church. Mid C15 tower, church rebuilt 1775-77 by Thomas Paty.
Coursed, squared Pennant rubble crypt, Pennant rubble with
limestone dressings to the rest.
Aisled nave, chancel, N and S porches and W tower.
Perpendicular Gothic tower, Georgian Gothic Revival-style
3-light E window with intersecting tracery, and similar
2-light windows to the aisles, and a 2-light ogee-headed S
chancel window; cornice to N and S of chancel, gabled aisles
and nave. Cross arrow slits in the crypt; 5-bay N aisle has
2-light windows with intersecting tracery, and a cornice with
small panels above and below between the windows; the W porch
has a depressed ogee-arched doorway with an ogee hood and
2-leaf door with pointed panels; the NW vestry has depressed
ogee-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes and interlacing to
the N and W. S aisle as the N, the porch having steps with
The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and a SE stair
turret with a Tudor-arched door at the bottom; 4-centred
arched W door with quatrefoils to the spandrels below a
3-light Perpendicular window with head stops; second and third
stages have 2-light windows, blind to the quatrefoil heads,
and dated 1811 on the S side; a belfry clock in a round
moulding below 2-light windows with openwork, 2 gargoyles to
the cornice, a crenellated parapet and pinnacles, with a
crenellated spirelet to the stair turret.
INTERIOR: Late C19 reredos of 4 arches and a central bay and
low, pointed niches in the sides of the chancel; the pointed
chancel arch has sunken panels in the soffit. 5-bay nave
arcade of columns on tall pedestals with fluted capitals to a
plain waggon roof and panelled beams to pilasters dividing the
flat-ceilinged aisles; late C19 gallery at the W end.
FITTINGS: C17 sword rest; C19 round stone pulpit with brackets
to the bottom; octagonal font of 1886 with marble shafts,
which replaced an urn with a marble basin by Thomas Paty of
1775; brass lectern with angels 1887. Memorials include a wall
monument to Joseph Percivall d.1764, a sarcophagus on scrolled
feet, bearing a plinth with 3 classical figures holding a
likeness on a shield; wall mounument to Mary Stretton d.1791,
an ogee-sided plinth and obelisk with a figure leaning on an
urn; marble tablet to James Drew d.1835, a Gothic-style panel
with octagonal attached columns and a trefoil parapet.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron railings.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 175; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 404;
Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 70).