You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380621  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 380621
Location: STOKE HOUSE, CLIFTON THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE, AND ATTACHED REAR KITCHEN, STOKE HILL (north east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 02 October 2004
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5675 STOKE HILL, Stoke Bishop 901-1/31/2012 (North East side) 08/01/59 Stoke House, Clifton Theological College, and attached rear kitchen block (Formerly Listed as: STOKE HILL (North East side) Clifton Theological College, Stoke House) II* House, now college. Dated 1669. Extended mid C18, extended and partly refaced 1872 by Foster and Wood. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, ashlar end-gable stacks and tiled double-pile roof. Early centralised double-depth plan with a central hall. Jacobean style with Jacobethan Revival-style refacing. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. 3 ogee gables and a full-height central porch; a fine late C17 ashlar doorcase has helical columns to naive Corinthian capitals, a segmental pediment over an elliptical doorway, with a heraldic cartouche flanked by angels, and a date panel; above is a pedimented cross window, and to the sides of the porch are late C17 rectangular panels with oval lights, and broken pediments on the ground floor and segmental pediments above; similar lights in the gables. Either side are C19 two-storey bays with bowed fronts and 5 curved and 2 flanking plate-glass sashes with mullions and transoms. Strapwork parapets to bays and porch; in the valley behind a crenellated flat roof above the stair well; 3 groups of 4 ashlar gable stacks in the plain end gables, and ogee gables to rear either side of the stair. INTERIOR: a quadripartite vault on carved springers to the porch; a large central hall with vine-leaf cornice, doorways with eared architraves and panelled reveals, and a fine C17 newel-framed stair with wainscotting, restored mid C19, with carved splat balusters and panelled newels with open pyramid tops and pendants; C18 dogleg stair in the right-hand rear extension, with turned balusters and column newels and a ramped rail; stairs to the attic have turned balusters and panelled newels with ball finials. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached square 3-storey kitchen block to the rear with gables to each side and cross windows. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 474).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.