© Ms Ruth Povey
THE CARRIAGE WORKS, 104 STOKES CROFT (east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
01 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5974 STOKES CROFT, Stokes Croft
901-1/36/2037 (East side)
The Carriage Works
(Formerly Listed as:
Carriage works. 1862. By EW Godwin. Squared, coursed Pennant
rubble and Pennant and limestone ashlar dressings; roofless.
Rectangular plan. Rundbogen style.
3 storeys; 10-window range. Battered rock-faced plinth, ashlar
quoins, limestone bands, cornice and alternate voussoirs; 5
wide semicircular ground-floor segmental arches with a C20
ashlar doorway in the centre one with 2-leaf panelled doors;
moulded sill bands to the first and second floors below
arcades of semicircular arches, moulded impost band and
hoodmould on the first, the outer arches slightly pointed,
below a corbel table and cornice. INTERIOR: largely gutted.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the ground-floor arches were originally open
for access by John Perry and Sons' carriages, and the works
had a hipped pantile roof with small dormers. Illustrated as
such in Winstone.
A notable work in a manner recognised as particular to the
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 371; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in
Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 38; Bristol As It Was: 1866-60:
Bristol: 1967-: 79).