You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380657  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA

IoE Number: 380657
Location: MERCHANT TAILORS' HALL, TAYLORS COURT (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
Date Photographed: 22 October 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5873SETAYLOR'S COURT, Centre901-1/11/679(North side)

BRISTOL ST5873SE TAYLOR'S COURT, Centre 901-1/11/679 (North side) 08/01/59 Merchant Tailors' Hall GV II* Guild meeting hall, now offices. 1740-1, converted c1950. Rendered limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Single-depth Great Hall and right-hand stair block. Early Georgian style. 3 storey; 7-window range. A 2-window right-hand service block set forward, Great Hall to the left with raised basement to a plat band, and a moulded coping ramped up to the left; the right-hand entrance has a fine late C17 shell hood with painted Arms of the guild with flanking winged cupids and a head of John the Baptist, on acanthus brackets, pulvinated frieze and architrave to double 6-panel doors. Plain surrounds to square basement windows, with entrances at each end, separated by angled coach bollards; windows have architraves and pulvinated friezes, cornices to the right-hand section with 9/9-pane sashes and a small 6-pane window over the door, and alternate segmental and triangular pediments to tall 20/20-pane sashes to 2-storey windows on the Great Hall. Thick glazing bars. In the re-entrant is a conical lead hopper and downpipe. INTERIOR: entrance hall with panelled wainscot to a ground-floor room with full panelling to 2 walls, and a dogleg stair with uncut string and column balusters and moulded rail; the former hall has an inserted C20 floor, with a rear bolection-moulded fire surround with Bristol Delft tiled back and panelled overmantel to a cornice; bolection-moulded architraves. It formerly had double doors from the N end beneath a musicians' gallery, high panelled dado and deep coved ceiling. Now connected internally with No.41 Broad Street (qv). Ison suggests the hood may be older and may have come from the C17 hall which it replaced. The court in front is flagged with Pennant cobbles, and forms an important part of the historic setting. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 95).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.