© Ms Ruth Povey
TEMPLE MEADS STATION, TEMPLE WAY (north east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
01 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
01 November 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5972 TEMPLE WAY
901-1/42/292 (North East side)
01/11/66 Temple Meads Station
Railway station. 1865-78. By Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. For
Great Western Railway and Midland Railway. Additional
platforms of 1930-5. Conglomerate with limestone dressings.
Booking office with forward projecting screens to train sheds.
Tudor Revival style.
2 storeys; 3-window range, with single storey; 19-window range
to right and 17-window range to left. Booking office has a
symmetrical crenellated front with lower angled side blocks
and a central 2-stage tower, and octagonal turrets to the
corners; ground-floor 4-centred arches have banded Purbeck
marble shafts, a label mould with quatrefoil spandrels, and
C20 doors; first floor has 6-light square-headed windows with
transoms and cinquefoil heads, stilted labels over panels with
quatrefoils over the middle window; a half-quatrefoil arcade
below the parapet, with blind lancets to the merlons; the
turrets have 2 crenellated courses below pyramidal tops.
The tower has an arcade of engaged shafts which pass through
the drip to pointed arches, under a large square panel and
clock with a trefoil-headed blind arcade above. The shed
screens have mullion and transom windows separated by
octagonal buttresses, with a glazed cast-iron canopy all
around the frontage.
INTERIOR: high booking office of brick with octagonal
tas-de-charges, but a C20 concrete ceiling; mezzanine with
panelled ceiling and 4-centre arched windows with 4 lights and
intersecting tracery. The main train shed has a 2-centred
trussed roof with traceried arch braces on octagonal corbel
shafts and black diaper work under the eaves. Further
platforms of 1930-5 by PE Culverhouse have cream terracotta
buildings with BRISTOL in glazed letters.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the station was a joint venture between the
Great Western Railway and the Midland Railway, and was
originally called Bristol Joint Station. It had a steep French
Empire roof to the tower, which was destroyed in the Second
World War, and crockets to the turret tops. The later Temple
Meads station uniquely shows, with the Bristol Old Station
(qv) at Temple Meads, the growth of a major terminus over more
than a century.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 348).