You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380701  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 380701
Location: TAYLOR MAXWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED FRONT BALUSTRADE, THE PROMENADE (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 27 October 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5673SE THE PROMENADE, Clifton 901-1/1/1076 (East side) 08/01/59 Taylor Maxwell House and attached front balustrade (Formerly Listed as: THE PROMENADE, Clifton Down Crosfields House) GV II* Formerly known as: Avonside House THE PROMENADE Clifton Down. House, now office. 1839. By RS Pope. Limestone ashlar, rendered side and rear, lateral and ridge stacks, and slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 3 storeys and basement; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has projecting 1-window wings with attached ground-floor Greek Doric columns set back between banded pilaster strips to an entablature, wide pilaster strips above, to a full-width heavy bracketed cornice, outer pediments with tall parapets and wreaths in the tympana, and a parapet with raised central sections. The centre is banded on the ground floor with a distyle-in-antis Doric entrance, the doorway set back with an impost band and C20 door, and a shallow right-hand bay with banded jambs. First-floor windows are set in recesses with Corinthian pilasters, the outer second-floor windows recessed with a plain mullion, the middle ones with battered raised surrounds. First-floor cantilevered stone balcony across the middle has cast-iron balustrade of wreaths. 6/6-pane sashes, mullion and transom casements first-floor outer windows. The left return in 2 sections separated by a gap, outer windows with banded ground-floor jambs, plain pilasters above to the cornice, and a central 2-storey panel above the ground floor with waterleaf moulding and anthemia in the corners. Rear elevation is a 5-window range with a central ground-floor bay articulated by fluted pilasters, a semicircular-arched second-floor stair window with a stone balcony, both pierced with rectangular holes with diagonal cast-iron railings; tall left-hand oriel on iron stanchions with tripartite window. INTERIOR: lobby to a rear central stair hall with an open dogleg stone stair with moulded cast-iron balusters, and a large fluted newel with a ball finial; left-hand central lateral dogleg service stair with uncut string, stick balusters and column newels; panelled reveals and 6-panel doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a central raised terrace across the front has attached battered balusters between the wings, dies to either end of a central stair flight, with plain urn finials. A well-detailed house making good use of the corner site. Part of a remarkable group including Promenade House (qv), Engineer's House (qv) and Trafalgar House (qv) extending NW from Litfield House, Litfield Place (qv). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 268; Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 162).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.