You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380717  

Print Page



© Mr Ian Garman

IoE Number: 380717
Location: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, TRINITY ROAD (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Ian Garman
Date Photographed: 19 December 2004
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST67SWTRINITY ROAD, Laurence Hill901-1/56/1562(East side)

BRISTOL ST67SW TRINITY ROAD, Laurence Hill 901-1/56/1562 (East side) 08/01/59 Holy Trinity Church II* Church. 1829-32. By Thomas Rickman and Hutchinson. Later work c1882 by John Bevan and 1905 by WV Gough. Bath stone ashlar with a slate-roofed nave and leaded aisles. Chancel and aisled nave. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. Small semi-hexagonal apse with pointed windows, beneath a crenellated, gabled end with angled buttresses and a large Perpendicular E window. The N aisle is 4 bays, with segmental-headed windows between weathered buttresses, and a coped parapet ending with crocketed pinnnacles; at the W end is an arched doorway; 2-light clerestory windows. Similar S elevation. The W front has a pair of crenellated octagonal towers of openwork tracery flanking 3 Tudor-arched doorways, the largest in the middle within a label mould with chamfered reveals and quatrefoils in the spandrels; above is a large 5-light window similar to the E end, and a traceried balustrade with open merlons and a cross finial to the top of the gable. INTERIOR: all fittings have been removed and a floor inserted near the top of the nave arcade. This consists of 4-bay arcade of square piers without capitals and pointed arches, with slender stanchions between for the absent gallery. Flights of stairs lead up either side from the narthex. An early Commissioners' church, now put to community use. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 292; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 9).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.