© Mr Ian Garman
ST PHILIP'S PUBLIC LIBRARY, TRINITY ROAD (east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Ian Garman
22 April 2006
30 December 1994
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST67SW TRINITY ROAD, Laurence Hill
901-1/56/1564 (East side)
St Philip's Public Library
Library. Dated 1896. By WV Gough. Red and yellow striped
brickwork with limestone dressings, and a slate roof. Open
plan. Jacobethan style.
2 storeys; 6-window range. Symmetrical front with a central
bay projecting slightly, balustrade with square urns on the
corners, and a square, louvred cupola on the ridge capped by a
dome and weather vane.
The main entrance is a round-arched door between brick
pilasters; on the first floor above is a detailed heraldic
device of unicorns holding a Bristol coat of arms, beneath a
scrolled pediment on dwarf Ionic pilasters; the inscription
VIRTUE ET INDUSTRIA is underneath. The bay is topped by a
panel in the parapet reading ST PHILIPS PUBLIC LIBRARY/ 1896,
and a pedimented bellcote containing a clock. Chamfered
mullion and transom windows with elliptical heads in
rectangular architraves, of 3 lights, 2 transoms to ground
floor, 2-light windows each side of each bay.
In the centre of each side is a full-height canted bay with a
9-light window. Leaded and stained casement windows. To the
left is a single-storey block with a large round-arched
doorway on square responds with carved capitals, and a
pediment and cartouche above. Brick and ashlar striped piers
and steel railings to the front area.
INTERIOR: 3 semicircular arches with coffered intrados
subdivide the library; roof with trusses with 3 queen posts
and arched braces.
(Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 61).