You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380730  

Print Page



© Mr David Cemlyn

IoE Number: 380730
Location: ROYAL FORT AND ATTACHED FRONT STEP RAILINGS, TYNDALLS AVENUE (south west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr David Cemlyn
Date Photographed: 27 July 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5873SW TYNDALL'S AVENUE 901-1/10/304 (South West side) 08/01/59 Royal Fort and attached front step railings (Formerly Listed as: TYNDALL'S PARK Royal Fort House) I House, now university department. 1758-61. By James Bridges. For Thomas Tyndall. Built by Thomas Paty; plasterwork by Thomas Stocking; wood carving by Thomas Paty. Limestone ashlar with 4 ridge stacks and a slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; 7-window range N front, 5-window ranges to S and W fronts. 3 symmetrical facades linked by a plat band and first-floor sill band, modillion cornice and parapet. Attached to the E is the pre-existing house, converted to a service block. N entrance front has a projecting 3-window centre under a blind balustrade, a doorway with attached Ionic columns to an entablature and pediment, fanlight and 6-panel door. Semicircular-arched middle first-floor windows linked by an impost band, and second-floor windows with 5 stepped voussoirs. 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-panes to the second floor. The W front has a pedimented centre broken forward with a rusticated ground floor, a finely-carved tympanum and balustrades each side. Semicircular ground-floor arches to the centre contain flat-headed windows, with 6/9-pane ground-floor sashes, eared architraves on the first floor with outer cornices and inner pediments to 6/6-pane sashes, and architraves on the second floor, with corner ears to the centre, to 3/3-pane sashes. S front has a projecting centre containing a canted, full-height bay with a balustrade and rusticated ground floor. Outer doorways have architraves, moulded consoles to pediments and 9-pane glazed doors, with fine rocaille carving over the heads. Venetian windows above with triple keys, semicircular-arched ground-floor windows to the bay, 5 stepped voussoirs above with carved female keys, all with 6/6-pane sashes, and 3/3-pane sashes to the third floor. Attached to the E side is the earlier house, rendered with a slate mansard. A linking late C18 two-storey; 2-window range with parapet and bowed sides has French windows and 6/6-pane first-floor sashes. Connects with an early C19 three-storey; 5-window range house to the right. Irregular fenestration, including a right-of-centre Venetian window, 6/6-pane sashes and second-floor casements. INTERIOR: a very fine and complete scheme of interior decoration, with much excellent Rococo and Classical plasterwork, wood carving, and good fireplaces. Entrance hall and central passage flagged with slate and marble, has a Doric frieze with metopes; screen of 3 semicircular arches with fluted fronts and panelled soffits, and flanking niches and rocaille corbels. Stair hall to the left has an elliptical arch with carved soffit, and plaster vines to each side, with a good ceiling rose of 3 putti; fine open-well stair has a moulded soffit, curtail, and sinuous wrought-iron balusters. Dining room has an exceptional rocaille ceiling, marble fireplace, and overmantel and door surround of rocaille wood carving, including entwined door columns. Drawing room has a similar ceiling, and a marble fireplace with carved corbels possibly of Thomas and Alicia Tyndall. Panelled shutters, 6-panel doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front steps, wrought-iron railings and lamp holders, with snuffers. A very fine design on an exposed site, with 3 good elevations. Attribution of the design and execution is not certain, and the 3 facades may have been the work of separate architects. The grounds were landscaped by Humphrey Repton in early C19. The interior is in good condition, and remains '...the best eighteenth-century domestic interior to survive in the city' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 155; Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 418).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.