© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
FORMER PATTERN MAKER'S SHOP AND STORES, UNDERFALL YARD
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
20 August 1999
30 December 1994
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1310 Former pattern-maker's shop and
Pattern-maker's shop, and stores. c1885. Brick and rubble with
slate hipped roofs. L-shaped plan of single-depth sheds
following line of Avon Crescent with taller projecting open
sheds at the SE end. Single-storey brick pattern-maker's
sheds, and taller open sheds.
2 brick sheds have curved ends facing one another, connected
by a wall, that to the N with 2 sets of sliding doors and
segmental-arched window between, that to the S has an end
doorway, 3 side doors and 2 left-hand windows. Open-sided shed
has 4 cast-iron columns on rounded bases to a timber beam, and
king post roof; the open-ended taller timber store has brick
and rubble walls, a steel-truss roof and projects forward on
heavy timber posts.
INTERIOR: cast-iron roof supports in the brick sheds, the
other structures are open and used for storage.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built on land reclaimed behind Jessop's dam
after 1840s, and named after Brunel's Under Fall culvert for
silt removal into the New Cut. '.. nowhere else is the
essential character of a late-Victorian docks preserved so
completely.' Lord and Southam.
(Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: