You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380744  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 380744
Location: FORMER SHIPWRIGHT'S SHOP, UNDERFALL YARD (south side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 August 1999
Date listed: 30 December 1994
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5772UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour901-1/41/1311(South side)

BRISTOL ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour 901-1/41/1311 (South side) Former shipwright's shop GV II Former shipwright's shop. c1885. Brick and timber facing with cast-iron frame and slate hipped roof. Open plan. Single storey; 4-bay range. The front is articulated by cast-iron columns on rounded bases to a timber beam, with sliding doors second from left and at the right-hand end, windows between, and overlapping timber boarding. INTERIOR: 3 cast-iron columns to the rear supporting queen post roof trusses. Set between the machine shop (qv) and the timber store (qv). HISTORICAL NOTE: built on land reclaimed behind Jessops' Floating Harbour dam, and named after Brunel's Under Fall culvert for removing silt into the New Cut. Contained a mortar mill and circular saw powered by the engine in the machine shop (qv). '..nowhere else is the essential character of the dock landscape preserved so completely' (Lord and Southam). (Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 65).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.