© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
MACHINE SHOP, UNDERFALL YARD (south side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
15 August 1999
30 December 1994
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1314 (South side)
Machine shop. c1885. Extended early C20. Brick with a tiled
double-pile hipped roof. Open plan. Single storey, with a
2-storey; 2-window C20 extension. A plain shed with corbelled
eaves, sliding doors at each end, with a hipped C20 office
extension along the left-hand end with a 7-window-range return
elevation of metal casements. An octagonal chimney attached to
the right-hand return.
INTERIOR: comprises boiler and engine houses, blacksmith's and
engineer's shops. Much original machinery survives, including
steam-powered plant from the mid 1880's, for planing,
slotting, punching-and-shearing, a long-bed lathe and steam
hammer, wall-mounted line shafting and a Tangye horizontal
engine and Cornish boiler.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built on land reclaimed behind Jessops' 1809
Floating Harbour dam, and named after Brunel's Under Fall
culvert of 1832 for removing silt into the New Cut. '..nowhere
else is the essential character of the dock landcape preserved
so completely' (Lord and Southam).
(BIAS Journal: Bristol: 1968-: 20; Lord J and Southam J: The
Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 66).