You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380752  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 380752
Location: BRISTOL GRAMMAR SCHOOL, UNIVERSITY ROAD (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 16 March 2006
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5873SWUNIVERSITY ROAD901-1/10/310(North West side)

BRISTOL ST5873SW UNIVERSITY ROAD 901-1/10/310 (North West side) 04/03/77 Bristol Grammar School II School. 1879. By Foster and Wood. Extended 1909 by Sir Frank Wills, and 1914 by WV Gough. Red rubble with limestone dressings and a slate roof. 1879 Great Hall, with 1909 block across its S end and 1914 block across the W end of the latter. Great Hall 2 storeys; 9-window range. A symmetrical block articulated by buttresses, with central projecting entrance and stair blocks each side; moulded sill and first-floor drip courses, cornice with gargoyles, and crenellated parapet and stepped gables. N entrance block has diagonal buttresses, Tudor-arched doorway with splayed panelled reveals and a panelled 2-leaf door, and a label with head stops and foliate spandrels. 2 storey canted oriel above has a moulded base, a central traceried panel and flanking statue niches with canted canopies, and a crenellated top. To the right is a narrow square 3-stage stair turret. 3-light mullion and transom flat-headed ground-floor windows with ogee heads, Tudor-arched first-floor windows with Perpendicular tracery. Rear matching gabled stair block, with a tower capped by a good wrought-iron canopy with a square ogee copper roof. The end gables have large 4-centre arched windows with Perpendicular tracery, angel label stops, and a gabled cornice below the parapet. The 1909 block has a road front with 3 gables to the left of an entrance tower, containing a Tudor-arched door, tall first-floor Tudor-arched mullion and transom window, and a Lombard frieze to a stepped parapet with raised corners. To the right is a 6-bay range divided by buttresses to mullion and transom windows. The 1914 cross wing is 6 bays long, articulated by buttresses with crenellated square tops above the parapet, first-floor windows with Tudor-arched heads, and end gables with tall central first-floor windows with elliptical-arched heads and Perpendicular tracery. INTERIOR: traceried glazed entrance screen to a central stair hall, a rear Imperial stair with stone parapet, and wrought-iron upper balusters with a brass rail; Great Hall on first floor has an arch-braced king post roof, with through purlins and pointed wind braces to the lower bays, with attached shafts to large angel corbels holding shields; panelled lower walls containing raised seats with canopies; over the entrance is the organ loft. The original building contained the Great Hall as well as 9 classrooms.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.